Reuse & Reduce - Our Environmental Policy
We consider ourselves to be an environmentally friendly hosted accommodation and have been eager to implement programs that save or reuse water, save energy and reduce waste. Our property has been assessed with a five star energy efficiency rating.
Save and Monitor Water Use
- Focused inspection on water leaks and dripping taps.
- Encourage guests to be more water and energy efficient by reusing towels instead of having them laundered every day.
- Water efficient showers reduces the volume of hot water needed as well as the energy required to heat the water.
- Diverting surface water runoff and water from roof gutters into the creek on the boundary fence instead of the storm water drain for our wildlife and birds.
- Monitor our water usage graph on accounts, comparing similar account periods.
Save and Monitor Energy Use
- Oil filled electric heaters and extra blankets keep guests warm in winter, fans and windows that can be opened to keep them cool in summer.
- LED lighting that last 25 times longer than incandescent bulbs and use 75% less energy.
- Faster Water Heating Hot water heaters can heat softened water more quickly than hard water. Our water softener improves efficiency by 29% in the gas hot water system.
- Previously the Jacuzzi was heated every afternoon, not knowing if it would be used and as a result, an enormous amount of electricity was being wasted keeping the water hot. We now request 24 hour notice. This has not inconvenienced our guests and has been conserving energy very effectively.
- Unplugging appliances, charges and fridge when not in use.
- As we live on site we turn off all unnecessary lights when guests have gone out or retired for the night.
- Using a clothesline instead of an electric dryer. Towels smell fresher and feel softer. We encourage our guests to use their clothes airer on their deck.
Our ultimate goal is to reduce energy costs through improved energy efficiency and the reduction of greenhouse gasses .
- Breakfast Menu instead of smorgasbord.
- Special recycle bin for guests use.
- Using Environmentally Responsible Cookware & Kitchenware.
- We do not use Coffee Pod Machines. Read HERE why they are an environmental risk and a health risk
- Our eggshells are crushed, baked and used as a natural snail repellent in our vegie and herb garden. Egg cartons recycled back to our supplier.
- Electronic invoicing.
- Recycling and avoiding badly packaged products. We buy in bulk wherever possible, and buy the majority of our groceries at the markets. Buying local, conserves large amounts of energy used in both packaging, refrigeration and shipping of food.
- We have installed a Filtered Water System which removes all aluminium, lead, asbestos, chlorine and sediment, from the water and produces sparkling clear, pleasant tasting and safe drinking water. This eliminates the need to buy bottled water saving guests money and saving the environment from plastics.
- Our water softener unit extends the life of our appliances such as washing machine, dishwasher and kettle. Replacing these items less frequently which benefits the environment longer as we are reducing waste and conserving the raw materials and energy used in manufacturing.
- Hard water leaves scaly deposits in plumbing fixtures and pipes. As these deposits build up over time, they cause clogs and corrosion that can shorten the life of our plumbing system. By reducing mineral deposits, water softening systems minimise build up and reduce the risks of clogs and corrosion, extending the life of our plumbing system and helping fixtures such as shower heads operate more effectively.
Eco Friendly Environment
We know we have a clean, unpolluted and stable environment because our frogs have given us their tick of approval by taking up residence in our garden.
We put out bird seed and a water bath for our native birds.
We avoid using pesticides and herbicides therefore we are not unintentionally killing off good insects—bees, lady bugs, etc. or potentially harming the frogs, bandicoots and our native birds.
We bake all our egg shells, crush them, then sprinkle them in our herb and vegie patch. Natural insect repellent.